Jul 07, 2020
ENGL 1021 - Composition I Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture 4Lab None
Course Description: This college composition course emphasizes academic writing, persuasive writing, and the expository essay. Students will apply rhetorical principles, such as purpose, audience, and style, throughout the writing process. Students will also compose source-based and claim-based writing by selecting, evaluating, organizing, and documenting sources. Instructor-supervised use of the Writing Center, equivalent to one credit, is required for students enrolled in ENGL 1021 sections meeting fewer than four hours per week.
Prerequisite(s): Assessment score placement in ENGL 1021 or completion of ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher, and assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: Word processing proficiency and basic computer skills
- Rhetorical principles
- Persuasive appeals
- Point of view
- Engagement with a community of writers
- Writing process(es)
- Invention strategies
- Drafting as thinking
- Revision based on feedback within a community of writers
- Editing to eliminate grammatical errors
- Professional presentation
- Thesis-driven essays
- Logical and persuasive support
- Unity and coherence
- Conventions of academic discourse
- Finding, evaluating, and incorporating sources
- Using databases and other credible resources
- Integration of source material
- MLA format
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Awareness of alternative documentation styles
- Providing and responding to peer and/or instructor feedback
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- employ a writing process to produce expository and argumentative essays that use standard English and advance thesis-driven arguments.
- apply rhetorical principles, such as purpose, audience, and style.
- engage in academic discourse.
- locate, critically analyze, and incorporate materials from diverse sources and points of view in writing.
- write a documented essay.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)