Dec 08, 2021
INTD 1090 - Sustainable Design Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course introduces students to the principles and practices of sustainable design. They will be introduced to environmental concerns, challenges, and processes associated with employing sustainable materials for design. This class requires field trips to “trade only” vendors during regular business hours.
Prerequisite(s): INTD 1020 with a grade of C or higher or consent of instructor, INTD 1040 with a grade of C or higher or consent of instructor.
- Fundamentals of sustainable design
- Sustainable life cycle assessment
- Problems with our natural resources
- Indoor air quality and health concerns
- Policies, legislation and labeling
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
- Global Ecolabeling Network (GEN)
- Energy efficient strategies for window and water technologies
- Sustainable strategies for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Condition Systems (HVAC)
- Finishes, furnishings, and air quality
- Current sustainable standards for new homes
- Current sustainable standards for remodeling
- Designer/consumer ethics and responsibilities
- Residential design project
- Commercial design project
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- discuss environmental concerns, ethics and challenges.
- explain how contents of finishes and furnishing materials can affect indoor air quality.
- apply sustainable strategies to residential and commercial interiors.
- apply sustainable strategies to the design process that incorporates state models such as Minnesota Green Star products.
- describe the process associated with a sustainable life cycle assessment.
- define indoor air quality and its related health concerns.
- describe policies, legislation, and labeling related to sustainable design.
- describe the categories associated with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
- describe how the Global Ecolabeling Network (GEN) functions.
- discuss energy-efficient strategies.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)