Oct 22, 2021
VCT 2087 - Advanced 3D Animation Project Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: In this advanced 3D Animation Project course, students will use complex rigging, motion-capture data, and freeform animation techniques to animate 3D characters. Advanced special effects using particle systems and space warps for environmental effects will also be covered. Using industry-standard applications such as Autodesks 3ds Max, Mudbox and Motionbuilder, students will design, create, and produce a character and environment, and utilize advanced animation techniques to create a high-quality 3D animation portfolio project.
Prerequisite(s): VCT 2084 and VCT 2085 or consent of instructor.
- Conceptualizing, researching, and developing a 3D animation portfolio project
- Creating animated object deformations with Space Warps
- Creating fire, smoke, rain, snow, wind, water … with Particle Systems
- Freeform animation techniques for character animation
- Rendering and editing your animation clips for portfolio presentation
- Rigging your character with the Biped and the Physique modifier
- Working with motion capture data
- Working with the Cloth modifier for believable cloth simulations and collisions
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- conceptualize a character and its environment
- research visual references of a concept for a character and its environment.
- develop a storyline for a short 3D animated movie
- apply advanced modeling techniques.
- apply advanced texturing and lighting techniques.
- use advanced rigging techniques with the Biped and the Physique modifier
- use motion capture data to animate a character.
- use freeform animation techniques to animate a character.
- create a highly developed, professional-quality 3D animation
- use Particle Systems to create special effects for animation.
- use Space Warps to create special effects for animation
- use the Cloth modifier for believable cloth simulations and collisions
- use the Hair and Fur modifier for believable hair simulations.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)