Jan 19, 2021
AST 1025 - Steering and Suspension Systems Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 2
Course Description: This course provides the basis for repairs and adjustments to the steering and suspension systems found on the modern automobile. Operating design theory, diagnosis, adjustment, and repair are included during group discussions and shop applications. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1015 , AST 1035 , and AST 1045 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Frame and suspension designs
- Suspension types
- Shock absorbers
- Stabilizer bar and links
- Bushing service
- Ball joints
- Diagnosing suspension systems
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to four wheel alignment.
- describe steering and suspension system operation and theory.
- identify steering and suspension system components and related parts.
- rebuild suspension and steering systems to industry standards.
- demonstrate the proper operation of specialty equipment and tools.
- perform NATEF tasks related to steering and suspension systems.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)