Jan 28, 2020
AST 1045 - Standard Drive Train Credits: 4
Hours/Week: Lecture 2 Lab 4
Course Description: This course covers the theory and operation of manual transmissions/transaxles,clutches, RWD, universal joints, FWD, constant velocity joints, differentials, and 4-wheel drive systems. Group activities and shop work include the adjustments, repair, replacement and/or rebuilding of these units. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires completion of or to be concurrently enrolled in AST 1005 , AST 1015 , AST 1025 , and AST 1035 .
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to automotive drive trains
- Clutch fundamentals, diagnosis, and service
- Manual transmission and transaxle fundamentals, diagnosis, and repair
- FWD fundamentals, diagnosis, and
- RWD fundamentals, diagnosis, and service
- Driveline vibration
- Maintenance and operational techniques of related tools and equipment
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- identify safety procedures and precautions related to standard drive train.
- describe standard drive train theory and operation.
- identify manual drive train components and related parts.
- rebuild manual drive train systems to industry standards.
- demonstrate the proper operation of specialty equipment and tools.
- perform NATEF tasks related to manual drive train systems
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
[Add to Portfolio]