Sep 22, 2020
EMSP 1274 - Advanced Hospital Practicum IV Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab 4
Course Description: This practicum provides the student with opportunities for entry-level paramedic care with occupational experiences in a cardiac cath lab, coronary care unit, and emergency department. Under instructor and preceptor guidance, the student will synthesize and apply theories and skills learned throughout the program. Emphasis will be placed upon team leading, critical thinking, prioritization, assessment, therapeutic communication, and life-saving interventions. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements. This course requires Minnesota Human Services and National background studies with no restrictions; current state EMT certification; current AHA BLS Provider certification; required immunizations; current healthcare insurance.
Prerequisite(s): EMSP 1227 and EMSP 1270 with a grade of C or higher.
Recommendation: Basic word processing skills.
- A. Patient Assessment & Management
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health screening
- Standing operating procedures
- Assess patients of all ages
- Manage patient care - both medical and trauma
- Participate in care of patient
- Participate under supervision of preceptor and/or faculty
- B. Skills Development
- Perform basic life support skills
- Initiate peripheral IVs
- Manage ABCs
- Apply EKG leads
- Interpret rhythms
- Prepare and administer medications
- Follow universal precautions
- Function as team leader
- Perform at level of entry level paramedic
- Therapeutic communication
- Scene leadership
- Scene safety
- C. Psychomotor skills
- Airway and breathing
- Oral and nasal endotracheal intubation
- FBAO ¿ direct laryngoscopy
- Percutaneous cricothyrotomy
- Pleural decompression
- BIPAP, CPAP, PEEP
- Chest tube monitoring
- NG/OG tube
- ECG interpretation
- 12-lead interpretation
- Blood chemistry analysis
- Wave form capnography
- c. Pharmacologic interventions
- 1. Intraosseous insertion
- 2. Enteral and parenteral administration of approved prescription medications
- 3. Access indwelling catheters and implanted central IV ports
- 4. Medications by IV infusion
- D. Record keeping
- Data collection
- E. Decision making
- F. Professionalism
- Appearance/personal hygiene
- Patient advocacy
- Careful delivery of service
- G. Affective
- Uniform policy
- HIPAA compliance
- OSHA compliance
- Comply with clinical guidelines
- H. Practicum Orientation
- Daily log of practicum experiences
- Weekly review of practicum goals and objectives
- Required evaluations and checklists
- Student evaluation of the practicum
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- A. demonstrate an understanding of medical protocols.
- B. perform a comprehensive history and physical examination to identify factors affecting the health and health needs of the patient.
- C. perform basic and advanced interventions as part of a treatment plan intended to mitigate the emergency, provide symptom relief, and improve the overall health of the patient.
- D. formulate a field impression based on an analysis of comprehensive assessment findings, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and epidemiology.
- E. relate assessment findings to underlying pathological and physiological changes in the patient¿s condition.
- F. integrate and synthesize the multiple determinants of health and clinical care.
- G. anticipate and prospectively intervene to improve patient outcome.
- H. effectively communicate in a manner that is culturally sensitive and intended to improve the patient outcome.
- I. demonstrate exemplary professional behavior.
- J. report and document assessment findings and interventions.
- K. observe patient/paramedic relationships in the EMS system.
- L. perform basic life support psychomotor skills.
- M. perform advanced life support psychomotor skills.
- N. observe/perform radio communications.
- O. demonstrate universal precautions.
- P. participate in transfer of patient care.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)