Feb 27, 2024
Total Credits: 20
Major Number: 5915
CIP Code: 12.0409
This Esthetics Services certificate includes instruction in theory and practical application of skin care products, analysis of skin, skin exfoliation, massage techniques, facials, brow tinting, makeup application, waxing services, and eyelash extensions. Completion of this certificate prepares students for the state written exam and certification of skills leading to licensure, as required by the Minnesota Board of Cosmetology.
Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher.
Completion of the program enrollment checklist is required prior to course registration. Students are required to have previously completed at least two of the courses listed in the certificate in a licensed Cosmetology or Esthetics high school program, or gain permission from an instructor.
Career/Occupational Elective Requirements
MnTC/General Education Requirements
MnTC Elective Requirements
Additional Elective Requirements
General Requirements for Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
See Century College Policy 18.104.22.168
Transfer, Articulation Agreements, and Partnerships
See the Century College website for information regarding transfer.
This program is intended primarily for employment preparation rather than transfer to a four-year institution. Some courses may not transfer to a number of four-year colleges. If you are considering the possibility of transfer, you may wish to talk with your advisor, counselor, or program instructor before registering to discuss your goals, look at programs designed for transfer, and develop a plan.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this program students will be able to:
- Demonstrate academic and technical skill proficiency at an entry level for an Esthetician and acquire sufficient amounts of knowledge to be prepared to take the state practical and written exams.
- Demonstrate effective and appropriate communication with clients.
- Demonstrate proficiency and skill as well as being able to analyze skin for the services of makeup applications, facial treatments, temporary hair removal and eyelash extension services based on clients’ needs and wants.
- Demonstrate proper safety and sanitation, as well as safe handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste as governed by Minnesota law and rules.
- Identify and interpret Minnesota Board of Cosmetology rules and laws as well as demonstrating ethical business practices in the salon including cash handling and reporting.
Program Contact Information
Thom Costa 651.779.3912 Room 3361 East
Dawn Goebel 651.747.4069 Room 3361 East
Please note that this is a sample course sequence. Individual schedules will vary depending upon student needs, goals, and availability. Students are recommended to meet with their advisor, counselor, or faculty program instructors to create an individualized plan that includes prerequisites and application requirements. For detailed program information see the Century College website. This information is subject to change.
Concurrent Enrollment Courses
This information is subject to change. Changes and updates are posted on century.edu
Century College is a member of the Minnesota State system. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and educator. This document can be available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 651.779.3354 or 1.800.228.1978 x 3354.