Sep 22, 2020
EDUC 2055 - Strategies for Teaching Writing Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course is designed to provide students with the skills necessary to support and reinforce the instruction of K-6 students in the area of writing. Students will study instructional strategies and may observe and practice these strategies in local school districts. The class will introduce students to the expectations found in the Minnesota Standards of Effective Practice for Teachers. Students will examine required paraeducator competencies set forth by the Minnesota Department of Education.
Prerequisite(s): Assessment score placement in ENGL 1021 or completion of ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher, and assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher.
- Sentence-building skills Identify parts of speech and parts of sentences Recognize basic mistakes in grammar Identify incorrect spelling of common words Recognize errors in punctuation
- Students and the writing process Prewriting Drafting Revising Editing
- Educator Support Understand assessment Access/create rubrics Recognize age/grade distinctions Individual tutoring
- Classroom experience Role playing in the classroom Off-campus practicum/field experience (optional)
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- demonstrate the use of instructional writing strategies to support and reinforce the instruction of students in writing.
- apply effective developmental, age-appropriate, and culturally sensitive instructional writing strategies that support student success in critical thinking and writing.
- use resources (including technology) to address the needs of a wide variety of students.
- use terminology related to the instruction of writing.
- describe how the Minnesota Standards and Testing direct the teaching of writing in Minnesota.
- demonstrate the ability to monitor and adjust writing strategies in response to learner feedback.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)