May 27, 2022
OFFT 2006 - Medical Office Fundamentals Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture 3Lab None
Course Description: This course introduces students to the healthcare office environment. Topics covered in the course include professional organization guidelines, organization of healthcare facilities, and the role of healthcare office personnel. Students will be exposed to the various medical specialties and the language of each specialty. Use of medical reference materials will be incorporated, along with an introduction of medical records, and medicolegal ethics. Students will focus on preparing patient records, billing, telephone procedures, appointments, professional reports, and medical meetings. Consent of instructor is required.
Prerequisite(s): Assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher. Instructor consent required for registration to verify program prerequisites have been met.
Recommendation: BIOL 1024 , CAPL 1023 , and ENGL 1021 with grades of C or higher.
- Healthcare facility organization
- Documentation procedures of each department Types of reports generated (i.e., EKG summary, pathology report and radiology results)
- Identification of medical law and ethics issues
- Introduction of medical specialties and their duties
- Language of each department specialty Names, abbreviations, drugs related to each area
- Preparation of paper medical records
- Professional organization guidelines
- Qualifications for success
- Roles of health care personnel within the organization
- Spelling the language
- Transcribing and keying medical records and correspondence
- Scheduling patients appointments
- Meeting Arrangements
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- Describe the organization of healthcare facilities.
- Demonstrate use of medical reference materials.
- Explain the purpose of the healthcare record.
- Demonstrate accuracy in documentation
- Identify medicolegal and ethics issues.
- Explain the healthcare office workers role in risk management.
- Prepare medical records and transcribe office chart notes.
- Prepare professional correspondence and generate medical reports.
- Arrange medical meetings
- Describe the role of office personnel in the healthcare system.
- Identify the medical specialties within a healthcare facility.
- Pronounce the language of the medical specialties
- Spell the terminology of medical specialties.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)