Total Credits: 21
Major Number: 5858
CIP Code: 43.0116
One of the fastest growing fields of the IT sector is Cloud computing and virtualization. Cloud computing is a model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services). Cloud computing has simultaneously transformed business and government, and created new security challenges at an unprecedented pace. The development of the cloud service model delivers business-supporting technology more efficiently than ever before.
This certificate prepares students with the expertise, knowledge, and skills required in today’s evolving cloud computing, virtualization, and security industry. In fact, IDC recently reported that “In 2012, more than 1.7 million jobs related to cloud computing remained unfilled worldwide. The reason for this is lack of training and certification” Both of these issues are addressed by this degree program in Cloud Computing and Virtualization Security.
Assessment score placement in MATH 0070 or above, or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of “C” or higher, assessment score placement in ENGL 1021 , or completion of ENGL 0090 with a grade of “C” or higher, assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 , or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a grade of “C” or higher.
Completion of CVF 1065 or CVF 1083 with a grade of “C” or higher
Career/Occupational Elective Requirements
MnTC/General Education Requirements
MnTC Elective Requirements
Additional Elective Requirements
General Requirements for Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
See Century College Policy 220.127.116.11
Transfer, Articulation Agreements, and Partnerships
See the Century College website for information regarding transfer.
This program is intended primarily for employment preparation rather than transfer to a four-year institution. Some courses may not transfer to a number of four-year colleges. If you are considering the possibility of transfer, you may wish to talk with your advisor, counselor, or program instructor before registering to discuss your goals, look at programs designed for transfer, and develop a plan.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this program students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough comprehension of the key principles of cloud computing and the security and privacy involved with this emerging technology.
- Examine Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and convert logical designs into services that can be implemented in today’s Cloud environments.
- Security aspects of each cloud model
- Develop a risk-management strategy for moving to the cloud
- Implement a public cloud instance using a public cloud service provider
- Apply RSA’s trust-based security model to different layers in the infrastructure stack
- Distinguish between cloud providers and third party managed service providers
- Assess, evaluate, and apply the necessary tools to analyze an organization’s assets and verify if the cloud security and privacy implications are justifiable in implementing Cloud Computing
- Employ the appropriate resources to model service specifications and service contracts to perform service orchestration.
- Demonstrate effective decision making and management techniques to support the organization’s objective of growth while putting best practices into place.
- Apply best practices for the next generation IT professional through continuous awareness for the environmental impact when developing and implementing IT systems and reap the business benefits of adopting a Green IT strategy.
Program Contact Information
Israel Alade 651.773.1787 Room 1743 East
Please note that this is a sample course sequence. Individual schedules will vary depending upon student needs, goals, and availability. Students are recommended to meet with their advisor, counselor, or faculty program instructors to create an individualized plan that includes prerequisites and application requirements. For detailed program information see the Century College website. This information is subject to change.
This information is subject to change. Changes and updates are posted on century.edu
Century College is a member of the Minnesota State system. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and educator. This document can be available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 651.779.3354 or 1.800.228.1978 x 3354.