2017-2018 Course Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Intrusion Detection & Incident Handling Certificate
Total Credits: 19
Major Number: 5860
CIP Code: 11.1003
Intrusion detection and incident handling was created to respond to threats to the nation’s cyber infrastructure systems which include both government and private sector. Students completing this curriculum will be capable of investigating and defending computer crimes/attacks, and properly seize and recover computer evidence.
To combat cybercrime, students in the Cybersecurity, Virtualization and Forensics program will study counter measures against hacking, spam, and computer viruses through Reverse Engineering Malware and evidence gathering. Graduates may work in a variety of computer security related fields including Cybersecurity, Network security, information assurance, computer incident investigation, and digital forensics analysis. This certificate program provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary to obtain employment in the Incident handling, cybersecurity and related fields as well as the Intrusion detection field.
Assessment score placement in MATH 0070 or above, or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of “C” or higher, assessment score placement in ENGL 1021 , or completion of ENGL 0090 with a grade of “C” or higher, assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 , or completion of RDNG 0900 or RDNG 0950 with a grade of “C” or higher. OR Instructor consent
Career/Occupational Elective Requirements
MnTC/General Education Requirements
MnTC Elective Requirements
Additional Elective Requirements
General Requirements for Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates
See Century College Policy 188.8.131.52
Transfer, Articulation Agreements, and Partnerships
See the Century College website for information regarding transfer.
This program is intended primarily for employment preparation rather than transfer to a four-year institution. Some courses may not transfer to a number of four-year colleges. If you are considering the possibility of transfer, you may wish to talk with your advisor, counselor, or program instructor before registering to discuss your goals, look at programs designed for transfer, and develop a plan.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this program students will be able to:
- Demonstrate troubleshooting strategies with a variety of security problems
- Install and configure web, database, file, and application servers
- Develop and implement effective security and disaster recovery systems and policies
- Develop and maintain technical documentation and procedures for Security management
- Demonstrate effective research, planning, and security management of software updates and fixes
- Apply accumulated knowledge and skills in an actual industry environment
- Demonstrate effectiveness in the use of computer forensic tolls, procedures, techniques, and hardware as well as maintain physical evidence
- Demonstrate effectiveness in configuring authentication schemes, such as NAT, content security and content vectoring, SYNDefender, and VPNs using industry standard firewalls.
- Demonstrate effectiveness in the use and scan of a network with heterogeneous operating systems and identify security vulnerabilities
- Demonstrate knowledge of multiple areas within the liberal arts arena.
- Demonstrate knowledge in design and configuration of Windows security
- Demonstrate effectiveness in tracking and monitoring as well as managing kicker attacks against Linux servers and how to prevent them
Program Contact Information
Israel Alade 651.773.1787 Room 1743 East
Please note that this is a sample course sequence. Individual schedules will vary depending upon student needs, goals, and availability. Students are recommended to meet with their advisor, counselor, or faculty program instructors to create an individualized plan that includes prerequisites and application requirements. For detailed program information see the Century College website. This information is subject to change.
This information is subject to change. Changes and updates are posted on century.edu
Century College is a member of the Minnesota State system. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and educator. This document can be available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 651.779.3354 or 1.800.228.1978 x 3354.