Feb 25, 2024
ABOD 1015 - Sheet Metal Repair Credits: 2
Hours/Week: Lecture None Lab None
Course Description: This hands-on course introduces students to the theory and practice of sheet metal repair. Topics include operational techniques for dent removal, including paintless dent removal, and panel straightening, as well as tools used for these techniques. Class activities include locating and identifying panel damage, as well as completing the repair. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete the course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): Course placement into ENGL 0950 and RDNG 0950 or above OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher OR course placement into ESOL 0051 and ESOL 0052 and ESOL 1033 OR completion of ESOL 0041 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0042 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0043 with a grade of C or higher; AND Arithmetic placement score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra placement score of 76 or higher or minimum placement score/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above or completion of MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher; AND instructor consent. We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math placement retesting or registering for a MATH course.
- Safety procedures and precautions related to auto body sheet metal repair
- Theory and operation of various hand tools and equipment designed to straighten sheet metal
- Location of sheet metal on the automobile
- Auto body nomenclature
- Basic sheet metal straightening procedures
- Maintenance and operational techniques of related hand tools and equipment designed for auto body sheet metal straightening
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- describe basic sheet metal repair theory and operation.
- identify the different auto sections to correctly determine areas of damage.
- determine correct tool or tools required to complete the repair.
- demonstrate correct preparation and use of specialty tools and equipment.
- demonstrate basic sheet metal repair.
Competency 1 (1-6)
Competency 2 (7-10)
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)