Oct 07, 2022
ABOD 1060 - Collision Repair and Overall Refinishing Credits: 3
Hours/Week: Lecture NoneLab None
Course Description: This course covers the overall techniques for restoring damaged cars, reconditioning vehicles, and cleaning up. Topics include refinishing procedures and preparation for overall refinishing, hammer and dolley techniques, and removal of paint from damaged areas. Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Prerequisite(s): ABOD 1000 , ABOD 1010 , ABOD 1020 , ABOD 1030 , ABOD 1040 , or instructor consent.
- Finish evaluation
- Minor paint touch-up work
- Wet sand procedures
- Abrasive and sanding techniques
- Hand and machine finish
- Surface defects and additional surface preparation
- Buffing procedures
- Paint films and bare metal substrates for refinishing
- Clean-up procedures
- Vehicle final detail
At the end of this course students will be able to:
- demonstrate overall refinishing safety procedures.
- select the correct abrasive and sanding techniques for specific sanding operations.
- prepare existing paint films and bare metal substrates for refinishing.
- perform clean-up procedures.
- perform buffing procedures
- remove paint from the damaged area of a body panel.
- reduce surface irregularities in the damaged area of a body panel.
- identify refinishing materials and ordering procedures.
- identify paint masking sealer.
- analyze the existing finish of a vehicle.
- recognize surface defects that require additional surface preparation.
- perform paint preparation procedures.
- perform paint mixing.
- perform minor paint touch-up work.
- perform wet sand to remove some minor paint errors.
- perform hand or machine compound finishes.
- detail a vehicle properly.
Courses and Registration
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)